So many choices?!

All about Sport Touring

So many choices?!

Postby gobeer net » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:16 pm

Cliff notes: Any recommendations for a 50 mpg, sporty, medium range bike. Fun enough to keep me riding and utility enough to use as a commuter. Looking for used model under $4k range.

Long Version:
In the past when I rode pavement it was on a sport bike. I quit riding much as I only rode "fast" when I rode. I took it to the track but then funding slowed that down. Eventually sold my CBR and bought a Shadow 1100 thinking it would be fun and slow = safe. Well it sits in the garage and collects dust. It gets from A to B and my girlfriend likes riding on it, but I find it heavy and boring so it never gets ridden.

No I'm thinking something in between. I'm looking for a job and that might involve a 20-30 minute commute every day. I saw an SFV for sale and it caught my eye. Commute + boredom = excuse to buy a bike. As a graduating student looking for a job I need to make it "ecomomical." As a rider who likes "fun" and "speed" it needs to be nimble and at least somewhat quick. I remember riding a Kawasaki Versys a few years back and saying "I could ride this all day". It looks like most of the 650 twins can get 50 or 50+ mpg as a commuter. While not having tons of power - seems like they have power where you want it for easy or even spirited riding. Then there are a few 1000cc+ bikes that are coming up on a decade old. They seem to handle the high mileage no problem. If more than a few can handle racking up 50k miles I figure these are bikes worth riding. I find them ugly but my budget is going to dictate some compromise.

So I'm looking for a 50+mpg bike that is sporty enough to not be boring and easy to ride so I can go the distance without regret. Maybe even a two up overnight ride. Trying to stay in the $3k-$4k range. So a used Versys, SFV, ER-6N? I like the looks of the SFV and ER-6N but am afraid I would want more fairings if I was going to actually commute very often. Or should I go a few years older and larger CC like a Bandit 1200 or FJR?
Last edited by gobeer net on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride it like your sponsored.
gobeer net
Hell on Wheels

Bike: '03 YZ450SM '11 KX250F
My real first name: Ed

Re: So many choices?!

Postby Logan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Buy a 650 v-strom or if you feel the need a 1000. They are the best do it all bike for the buck made. Get over the looks and ride one, all day comfort and 85% of a gsxr in the twisties.
Logan
Menace to Forum Society

Postby smileyman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:30 am

The 650 v strom got updates this year and is extremely capable. The 1000 probably doesn't work as well on fire roads but both have luggage/touring options from the factory. The Versys looks to be my favorite if your asphalt biased but may not be as good as the 650 for two up. If price is no consequence look to the Triumph Tiger or BMW GS.
Industria, Virtus, et Fortitudo!
Losers find excuses to quit and fail...
Winners find ways to succeed! !
smileyman
I kinda kick ass!

Bike: CBR650F
My real first name: Chris

Postby D Haynes » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:42 pm

I have an 08 Versys that just turned 15,000 miles. I ride with Sonny and Gordon and the bike can run with them to my abilities. I usually get about 40 mpg riding with them. I believe you can get around 50 mpgs normal riding. There is a great Versys Forum Site. There is an 08 listed on Cycle Trader in LR 2,300 miles for $3800. It is stock but that is a good price. contact was Bill @ 501-517-2283 Good luck,I would love to see another Versys out there.
D Haynes
2 Wheeled Maniac

Postby Shelby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:31 am

I'll throw in another option that may be worth a look. A Yamaha FZ6 falls into sport bike and upright all day rider/commuter. You can find a used in that range. I had and someday when I grow up a little I might look at getting the FZ1 just to have a little oomph.
Shelby
AHSCS #110 @GunpowderRacing
2013 Sponsors: Cycle Gear, Dunlop, FMF, Factory Connection, Vortex, EKS X Brand Goggles & Mrs. Johnson
http://www.gunpowderracing.com
Shelby
AKA "The Human GPS"

Postby rockerphotographer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:12 pm

I would recommend sticking with the bigger engines to overcome the buzziness of the 600's for traveling. Yea they're terribly overpowered but more suitable for comfort and long distance. The new FZ1 looks sick along with the ninja 1000 (non race version) but they're still pretty aggressive on the stance.

Kawi Concours 1400 would be really nice. RipperLCD has one and I'm thinking they go fairly cheap for one that's several years old. He keeps up without any problems.
rockerphotographer
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike: Chinese Mini Chopper
My real first name: Clint

Postby flattopwill » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:16 am

gobeer net wrote:Well it sits in the garage and collects dust. It gets from A to B and my girlfriend likes riding on it, but I find it heavy and boring so it never gets ridden.

Just for the record, I TOLD YOU SO. :biglol

I think FZ1, SV1000S, Bandit 1200, VFR800, Sprint, Z750S, or F4i.
Versys, Ninja 650, SV650, ER-6N, and Gladius are gonna be too slow.
FJR, Concours, Goldwing, and VFR1200 are great in the more modern generations but are gonna be way out of your budget.
V-strom.....I'm trying to be open-minded about this sport-touring thing but I just couldnt swing my leg over it. Its gotta be about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Plus, what's with the name? I couldnt tell someone I rode a V-strom without :doh

Streetfighters are much better looking but for your needs you gotta have some wind protection.

P.S. - So once you get this S/T thing we can trade bikes for a day every once in a while right? :lol3
2008 CBR1000RR
2002 YZ426SM
2005 CRF250R
flattopwill
2 Wheeled Maniac

Bike: 2008 CBR1000RR, 2002 YZ426SM

Postby Logan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:34 am

"V-strom.....I'm trying to be open-minded about this sport-touring thing but I just couldn't swing my leg over it. Its gotta be about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Plus, what's with the name? I couldn't tell someone I rode a V-strom without
"

That's what I thought until I rode one, then I realized its looks can be forgiven due to the overall complete package offered. The ability to ride all day in comfort while being able to play with sport bikes, chill with touring rigs, or just commute to work is priceless. I've ridden mine with lots of sport bikes, and there were not many that could run off and leave me. Come to think about it, the ones that could run off and leave me would have done so if I were on my gsxr 1k. The best do it all bikes are the adventure touring group, which the dl 1000 is a member of. If a person wants a cheap reliable do it all bike that can hit the fire roads, or slice through the curves, maybe even do a 10k trip across America then the vstrom-dl 1000 is one of the top three choices. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/1656/ ... Strom.aspx

I own a gsxr 1000, a dl 1000, and a dr 650, if I could only have one bike..... it would be the vstrom 1000. Cheaper than a BMW gs or most others in its class the vstrom is about the best do it all motorcycle currently made. Yes it is butt ugly..... :biglol
Logan
Menace to Forum Society

Postby gobeer net » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:38 am

flattopwill wrote:Just for the record, I TOLD YOU SO. :biglol

I was waiting for that.
gobeer net
Hell on Wheels

Postby gobeer net » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Guess my choice has been made. Came home with this. Having a little buyers remorse but hopefully a warm enough weekend will come around and cure that.

gobeer net
Hell on Wheels

Postby rockerphotographer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:53 am

Buyer's remorse? Buying a clean FZ1 is never a bad idea :) Nice bike with a nice price!
rockerphotographer
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike: Chinese Mini Chopper
My real first name: Clint

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 am

Glad you got it. If there is anything at all I need to do let me know.
Dan
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike: Katana 600 D&D
My real first name: Tres gónadas hombre

Postby irun123arkansas » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Buyers remorse? Are you worried you didn't pay enough or that you shouldn't have bought a bike at all? You did get a steal.
Right cheekpad goes by Right ear, Left cheekpad goes by Left ear..... FYI
irun123arkansas
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Bike: zx14R 8"stretch

Postby gobeer net » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:02 pm

I got a good bike at a good price. I'm riding it today and liking it. The list of piddly stuff is growing, but that is what winter is for.

Gonna stop by Yamaha on the way home today. I'll have it ready for the corners by the time spring rolls around!
gobeer net
Hell on Wheels

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:49 pm

I have not had a ounce of trouble whatsoever but will gladly help with any cost. If I missed somthing then I will make good. Send address and will have a check in the mail tomorrow.
Dan
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike: Katana 600 D&D
My real first name: Tres gónadas hombre

Next

Return to Sport Touring Talk