Is sport touring really sporty?

All about Sport Touring

Is sport touring really sporty?

Postby 02fz1 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:22 pm

I have an fz1 and really like it but me and the wife did a lot of riding this weekend. Up to BB&B then on to Eureka springs to stay. We had a good time but were really getting uncomfortable by the time we got back home. I was considering a getting a sport touring machine in the future but was concerned about how well they keep with the true sport bikes on my solo adventures. My fz1 isn't a true sport bike but I don't seem to have any problems keeping up on fast group rides and usually stay towards the front of the pack. I consider myself a competent rider but certainly not the fastest. I was strongly leaning towards the new connie b/c I am kinda a techno geek and it's got lots of techno. Any sport tourer owners have any difficulties keeping up?
02fz1
Hell on Wheels

Postby tod » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:08 pm

I think I do pretty well keeping up . That said , a few of the guys I ride with I wouldn't keep up with no matter what I was on . I haven't ridden one but the new connies seem awesome .
tod
I have a cupholder and you don't.

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:02 pm

A alternative to other Sport Tourers.

It won't get left behind.
Dan
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike: Katana 600 D&D
My real first name: Tres gónadas hombre

Postby 02fz1 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:13 pm

I was considering the zx as a sport tourer but I don't think it would be that much better than what I have as far as comfort. It's when we go 2 up that we really feel the need for something bigger.
02fz1
Hell on Wheels

Postby Dizzy_Dave » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:02 pm

My sport tourer can keep up with the pace.

Now it's pilot is another story

Dizzy_Dave
Hell on Wheels

Postby Kirrilian » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:02 am

I'm with Tod, there are some folks on this board that you will never be able to keep up with on a S/T bike but for the most part I am able to keep up with the pack. I am also able to ride 2 up for long distances, I like the ability to go further than 100 miles (sorry sport bike riders) without having to get fuel. I guess it just depends on how much you are going to ride 2 up on whether or not you should get a S/T bike. I knew that I was going to ride 2 up a lot, I have 3 kids and a fiancee that all like to ride with, but I can still have some fun when I am riding alone.
"Sometimes you go for the ride, other times you go for the riding, sometimes both." Me
"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...." Unknown
Kirrilian
2 Wheeled Maniac

Postby 02fz1 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:36 pm

same here 3 kids and a wife that loves to ride just doesn't get the chance but once every month or so. For the same reason I don't get to do a whole lot of group rides either so most of my rides are the long way home from commuting. I am beginning to think that a s/t is a good choice for me. It would be next year before I could get anything new but I am the kind that likes to do tons of research before I make a purchase. Hopefully by next year there will be some good used concours 14's around for a reasonable price, with abs hopefully.
02fz1
Hell on Wheels

Postby 02fz1 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:36 pm

same here 3 kids and a wife that loves to ride just doesn't get the chance but once every month or so. For the same reason I don't get to do a whole lot of group rides either so most of my rides are the long way home from commuting. I am beginning to think that a s/t is a good choice for me. It would be next year before I could get anything new but I am the kind that likes to do tons of research before I make a purchase. Hopefully by next year there will be some good used concours 14's around for a reasonable price, with abs hopefully.
02fz1
Hell on Wheels

Postby tod » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Really most of my riding is only me , no two ups , and still love my fjr . Good luck on the change , lots of choices out there
tod

Postby Kirrilian » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:54 am

There was a guy on a new connie for the push mountain run Sunday, he was able to keep up no problem for the most part. I have decided that I will ride as hard as I can, if I can't keep up with the sport bike guys so be it. You can't have your cake and eat it too!

:biglol
"Sometimes you go for the ride, other times you go for the riding, sometimes both." Me
"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...." Unknown
Kirrilian
2 Wheeled Maniac

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:37 am

You both did great, so go get some cake. :cheers
Dan
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike: Katana 600 D&D
My real first name: Tres gónadas hombre

Postby tod » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:12 pm

I want cake :biglol
tod

Postby Tinks » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:31 am

I agree it is more the rider than the bike. If you find a sport touring bike that suits you, you should be able to keep the pace. Now, if you are riding something like a V-Strom 650 on mostly straight roads and the sport bikes in your group are doing 120, well then, you may have some catching up to do, but on most rides, between a sport bike and the sport touring bike, the difference at the level that 95% of us ride? It is the rider.
They got me in my pride. Trivia. I'm so trivial.
Tinks
Rolling Road Advocate

Postby whitewolf » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 pm

I agree with a lot said above.
Tod can agree with this that a FJR can keep up with alot of bikes.
Coming back from Yellowstone Park last month, we hooked up with 2 R1's and FJR, and we kept up. I will not admit to any top speeds, but we kept up.
My wife and I drive the dog out of ours. 9 months old and we have put over 12,000 miles on ours.
whitewolf
Hello and Welcome!

Postby 02fz1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Well now comes the hard part of coming up with the money to get one. I kinda forgot about that part. :doh Hopefully I can scrape up enough next year but I guess my steed will have to do till then. I really do still like it ya know.
02fz1
Hell on Wheels

Next

Return to Sport Touring Talk