To Bentonville the Long Way

tell everyone about your recent rides.

To Bentonville the Long Way

Postby Shelby » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:32 am

Well I finally got a good ride in even it was a solo venture. I thought I’d share a short report. I’ve been training on the bicycle again pretty hard and started using a online tracking service called MyMapRide. It’s designed for cyclists, runners, and the like to map out their routes and record their times as well as some other data.

I was curious to see if it would work just as well at speed and so I turned the tracker on to record my ride yesterday. Here’s my track….

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/48445372/

It shows I got the 257 mile ride done in 4 hours and 33 minutes. I stopped the tracker when I stopped to take pictures. I was hoping to see the average speed but I don’t know where its at on the site. Anyways here’s a report for your perusal.

The GSXR has been a great bike and I really love its performance. A few years ago I purchased a nice set of Cortech soft luggage for the bike and so with it strapped on the tail I was ready to go. I set my rear pressure at 34lbs and my front at 33lbs. to account for the little bit of extra weight on the Dunlop Q2’s.

After I geared up I head straight to the neighborhood Conoco.

With a full tank of gas on board my next stop was a quick pit alongside the road. This is the Point Remove bridge on the way to Jerusalem in northern Conway County. It’s a great old structure and pretty photogenic.

I was really enjoying the ride. As I eased along my first gas stop was at Hector. From there I headed on up Hwy 27. I bet I wrote here several times before but I love this road. Its just so dynamic as you climb up out of the river valley with lefties and righties galore. Once I got up on top it hit me…. Cooler temps baby! I worked my way to the Hwy 16 junction and then hooked it toward Witts Springs.

I was making good music with the bike and somewhere in there along that stretch I started to get in a really good groove. Just really good pace riding totally at ease not really pushing but not lollygagging either. Several of you know the winter freeze-thaw was unkind over the last several winters to the section of Hwy 16 between Witts Springs and Pelsor and there were many spots where the asphalt had deteriorated badly. Thankfully though these guys were out putting in patches and they were doing a pretty good job. So heads up if you are on Hwy 16 anytime soon you’ll see some new black asphalt in spots.

I got to Pelsor and just had to take a pic of this fancy sight. I figure someone on here must have a need for a new cabin.

I jetted on from there to Deer, then to Edwards Junction, then north on 21 to Boxley, and then I jogged west again to Kingston. At Kingston I took Hwy 74 which is a gem of a road with nary a vehicle on it for 15 or so miles. I was getting tired since Pelsor so I stopped at one of the best little roadside park / pit stops in Madison County.

I made it to Huntsville from there and gassed up again and head up Hwy 23. I detoured through Withrow Springs State Park and took a snap shot of the springs. Amazingly enough the thing was running good out from under the cave where it erupts from the ground even with all this dry weather. The water is ice cold and crystal clear.

I headed on up 23 to the junction with 12/45 and then went west again, and then diverted off onto Hwy 127 another jewel in northwest Arkansas. I grooved on it pretty good and was excited to get to Hwy 12. I have never been able to catch Hwy 12 without a lot of traffic on it until yesterday.

That road without traffic is AWESOME! I mean it throws everything at you. I mean everything. There’s a couple of sections of it that are rhythmic and flow really well and then spit you right into an arrhythmic section that causes confusion and hesitance as you have to scrub and flick at the same time to get the next entry right. As you guess… I LOVED IT! I’ve been extremely pleased with the grip the Dunlop Q2’s offer and they never gave me any pause at all even on this section where I was working them really hard.

This was my token gun lover snapshot on the first leg of the trip for all my gun lovin’ buddies here on the Board. I bet there’s only a few here who can’t appreciate the gleam in the eyes at your first sight of your own brand new Daisy B-B gun.

Shelby
AHSCS #110 @GunpowderRacing
2013 Sponsors: Cycle Gear, Dunlop, FMF, Factory Connection, Vortex, EKS X Brand Goggles & Mrs. Johnson
http://www.gunpowderracing.com
Shelby
AKA "The Human GPS"

Re: To Bentonville the Long Way

Postby zx9 Nick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 am

Good stuff
2011,2013 GP tipping champion
zx9 Nick
Site Supporter 2013
Site Supporter 2013

Bike: 03 Yamaha R1
My real first name: Nikolay

Postby TC » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm

zx9 Nick wrote:Good stuff

:+1
When cannibals ate a missionary, they got a taste of religion.
TC
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Postby irun123arkansas » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Nice report shelby, you ought to join us on Monday.
Right cheekpad goes by Right ear, Left cheekpad goes by Left ear..... FYI
irun123arkansas
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Bike: zx14R 8"stretch

Postby smileyman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Great report as always Shelby...12 is one of those roads Nick and I should try and close for some real roads racing! NW200 anyone?
Industria, Virtus, et Fortitudo!
Losers find excuses to quit and fail...
Winners find ways to succeed! !
smileyman
I kinda kick ass!

Bike: CBR650F
My real first name: Chris

Postby zx9 Nick » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:40 pm

12 would def be part of the Arkansas TT series :cheers
2011,2013 GP tipping champion
zx9 Nick