2008 Suzuki 1000

Talk about sportbikes here.

2008 Suzuki 1000

Postby Kru_zer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 pm

I found a brand new '08 Suzuki 1000, and I'm thinking of trading in my '04 CBR 1000RR. Looking for a little feedback from those that have or have had one. Please keep the bashing of brands out, I want honest opinions that relate. I do love the CBR but thinking of trading up since I have had her for over 5 years now. I do know that Suzukis wheelie easier, though I'm not really a stunter I don't mind doing a few now and again. Anyway, thanks in advance for your comments. Ride Safe!!!
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!!!
Kru_zer
Menace to Forum Society

Postby irun123arkansas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:23 pm

I test rode a cbr1000 2005 and own a 2007 gsxr1000 so here is my comparison. The cbr power wise is gonna be night and day difference compared to the gsxr. I literally felt like it was comparing a 600 to a 1000 under 10,000rpm. The gsxr is just easier to ride fast and is more of a lazy mans bike if you want it to be, stick it in 3rd on 7 and you wont ever shift. Suspension wise the gsxr is a little stiffer set up but plenty comfortable. I have had absolutely no issues with my 07 and would get another one anytime. I think there is a reason the gsxr 1000 won the litre bike shootout from 2001-2007 except for 2004 zx10.

Yamaha has never won it and Honda had not until 2008" which is ugly as hell but one hell of a great bike also if you can find one that doesn't burn a ton of oil!"

my .02
Right cheekpad goes by Right ear, Left cheekpad goes by Left ear..... FYI
irun123arkansas
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Bike: zx14R 8"stretch

Postby Logan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:55 am

I put 14000 miles on a 05 cbr1k and have about 8k on my 07 gsxr 1k (08 gsxr has different paint and little else different.) The gsxxr is a lot stronger and has a better suspension stock. Anyway, I love mine and here is what I said about it in 07.

"I sort of know how to ride my 1000rr, and I can tell you from my experience the gsxr 1000 is easier to ride fast. My bike has better mid range, so I can beat one coming out of the corner, but on a track that has some decent straights, the gsxr will run off and leave me. That's if I'm riding both bikes back to back. Which would be fastest on a track if I ride both? I would give the nod to the gsxr. Which is more comfortble? I give the nod to the cbr now, but comfort includes many things. I can get off the gsxr better in corners, and with the adjustable rear sets the gsxr has the more comfortable leg position. The honda feels better to me when I sit on it, but after a while my knees start to hurt and it takes a lot more effort to move around on the honda.

When I say the gsxr is easier to ride fast I back that statement up with the fact I can go faster on the new gsxr that's not set up for me than I can on my bike that I've ridden for two years and it's set up for me.

I don't know if I could justify buying a new bike since mine does so many things well, but I had a chance to ride a new gsxr for a week or so and was told to ride it like it was my own so I could give a decent review on it when finished. I do know this, when I buy a new liter bike it will be a gsxr."
Logan
Menace to Forum Society

Postby Kru_zer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:58 am

Thanks guys, for your honest opinions. I am comfortable on my CBR, but then again I've had it for a while. The 1.99% financing is also another factor in getting the bike, plus it's a few thousand cheaper than a new GSXR 1000. It's priced cheaper than a new GSXR 750. I'm not sure how much difference I'll be able to tell in power, I do know the CBR's engine is super smooth and I would hate to deal with engine vibrations that are intrusive. Anyway, I am leaning towards buying it, thanks again.
Kru_zer
Menace to Forum Society

Postby Logan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 am

The 07-08 gsxr 1k pulls like a frieght train from the bottom to the top, and what a rush around 7500 rpms. I loved my 05 cbr1k, but if given the option between being given either a 04-07 cbr 1k or a 07-08 gsxr 1k I would take the gsxr in a heartbeat. It really is that much better in my opinion.

The gsxr has a monster motor that is second only to the zx-10 of that era, and it is refined enough to still look good three years later with many hard miles on it.

In a nutshell, I could hammer the cbr in 1st or second with ease, the gsxr takes a careful throttle hand under third gear, with the rpms up, even with the timing retarded. In all honesty, it took a while to get used to the extra power of the gsxr and that was coming off another liter bike.

I always thought the hionda was the prettier of the two, but the looks of the gsxr have grown on me and I now apprieciate the look and the engineering Suzuki built into the bike.

Best of luck, and no matter what you get a new bike is always great.
Logan
Menace to Forum Society

Postby Kru_zer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks again Logan. Plus I'm looking for a little color this time, and the Blue/White combo looks pretty good to me. Hey, come to think of it, it will match my B5 Blue Challenger a lot better too!!! :biglol
Kru_zer
Menace to Forum Society

Postby rolleronariver » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:13 am

I think coming from the 04-05 cbr 1k you'll really like the gsxr. I test rode an 05 several years ago and didn't care for it. They seemed to be lacking in the throttle response. Now the 06 on the other hand felt a lot stronger but I think compared to an 08 gixxer 1000 it's lacking. So from one honda guy to another get the gixxer! :biglol

I also feel like the newer the bike the faster it is.
rolleronariver
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Bike: 06 CBR 1000 (Track)

Postby Kru_zer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Well, my buddy called and said they have it serviced out so I can test drive it. I guess a little test ride will be the last nudge to sway me. I've pretty much made up my mind to get it. Sitting on it the other day it did seem more comfortable to me. I installed Heli Bars on the CBR a long time ago and will probably do the same on the GSXR if I purchase it. I also think I will probably change the exhuast to a single can instead of two. Anyway, thanks again everyone for your replies. Ride Safe!!!
Kru_zer
Menace to Forum Society

Postby flattopwill » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:18 pm

rolleronariver wrote:I also feel like the newer the bike the faster it is.

+1 :ok I agree.
flattopwill
2 Wheeled Maniac

Bike: 2008 CBR1000RR, 2002 YZ426SM

Postby Kru_zer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Well, they are running my credit so I guess I'll know sometime today!!!
Kru_zer
Menace to Forum Society

Postby irun123arkansas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:47 pm

Good luck :cheers
Right cheekpad goes by Right ear, Left cheekpad goes by Left ear..... FYI
irun123arkansas
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Bike: zx14R 8"stretch

Postby Kru_zer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Well, I pick her up tomorrow!!! Thanks again for all the replies, I'll give you my assessment of the GSXR once I get some seat time. I'm looking forward to learning my new friends ways, but am sad to let a good friend go. I hope she goes to a good home as she is a great bike. Ride Safe!!!
Kru_zer
Menace to Forum Society

Postby IGpoobah » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Congrats! But as you know...

:worthless
IGpoobah
I am the spaminator

Bike: 02 ZX6R
My real first name: Eric

Postby Kru_zer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Yeah, yeah............ I'll post one tomorrow just for you. :biglol
Kru_zer
Menace to Forum Society

Postby 1badgsxr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 am

Excellent Choice! I had a white and silver 08 that I traded for my Busa but now I want it back or both.... :biglol congrats!!
1badgsxr
Getting Warm

Next

Return to Rocket Talk