[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4700: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4702: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Arkansas Riders Forum • View topic - Odumba 2016?

Odumba 2016?

Anything non-motorcycle related - keep it PG-13 please

Odumba 2016?

Postby Ironx » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Hells bells, I hope not...but then agian this administration has been toxic to the Constitution.

Only FDR has served more than two terms as President of The United States… but that could change with the introduction of H.J. Resolution 15.

New York Democrat Representative, Jose Serrano last week introduced a piece of legislation aimed at “an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.”

All past efforts to repeal the 22nd Amendment have failed, but this time it could be different due to an unprecedented economic force that’s underway right now, and such a large number of low information people...thats just being nice.
"That State that has the power to impoverish someone like Bill Gates, will have no problem at all enslaving you and I"
Ironx
Site Supporter 2013
Site Supporter 2013

Bike:
My real first name:

Re: Odumba 2016?

Postby irun123arkansas » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 pm

I will move out of country if this were to happen.....
Right cheekpad goes by Right ear, Left cheekpad goes by Left ear..... FYI
irun123arkansas
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Bike:

Postby Shadowrider » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:49 pm

It's kind of interesting to see this issue raised yet again. Although a two-term limit has been attributed to George Washington and the founding fathers' fear of an imperial presidency, most historians are of the opinion that Washington's primary motivation for declining a third term (and most agree he could have served as long as he wished-at least until he stopped breathing) was his advanced age and declining health (he died less than two years after leaving office) rather than any desire to set a precedent. That fact aside, it wasn't until Franklin Roosevelt won a third term in 1940 and then a fourth in 1944 that the tradition begun with Washington was broken. It wasn't for a lack of trying, however, as Ulysses Grant and Theodore Roosevelt both attempted to win third terms. A popular campaign slogan in 1940 attempting to turn back Franklin Roosevelt's attempt was: Washington wouldn't, Grant couldn't, Roosevelt shouldn't. But in a historical perspective, all of the forces that came together to put Roosevelt in for a third and then a fourth term were fairly well unprecedented in history.

Congressional Republicans in 1947 put forth the 22nd Amendment in an effort to not only ensure that there would never be another Roosevelt but also worded it in such a way to prohibit Harry Truman from being able to run for a second term in his own right. Whether out of retaliation or concern that an imperial presidency could arise out of a cult of personality is still a hotly debated subject to this day.

Ironically, the first serious discussion about repealing the 22nd Amendment came early in the second term of the Reagan Administration, and an interesting aside was that while Reagan himself voiced support for the movement he also made it clear that he had no intention whatsoever of running for a third term if such an initiative was successful. Despite Reagan's popularity, repeal didn't have a snowball's chance of passage in 1986 and likely won't gain any real momentum now. Whether that is a good thing or not in the big picture is largely a matter of opinion but it is highly unlikely that President Obama will attain the popularity of President Reagan whether he could run for a third term or not.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
Shadowrider
Fresh Meat

Bike:
My real first name:

Postby smileyman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Canada is looking pretty good right now. Maybe New Zealand or Oz if I can swing the boat trip.
Industria, Virtus, et Fortitudo!
Losers find excuses to quit and fail...
Winners find ways to succeed! !
smileyman
I kinda kick ass!

Bike:
My real first name:

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 am

Move to Quito Equador with me. Dollar currency, 10K altitude, $$$ goes very far.
Dan
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike:
My real first name:

Return to Off Topic