[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4700: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4702: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Arkansas Riders Forum • View topic - Help me pick my next gun

Help me pick my next gun

Anything non-motorcycle related - keep it PG-13 please

Help me pick my next gun

Postby GSXRPLIB » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:01 pm

My fellow gun lovers : What brand/model/caliber would you recommend for a bolt action rifle, as far as handguns go would you choose a .40 and a .45? Why and what brand?

I love guns, and I'm going to add to my collection. I have a carry concealed permit to carry which I usually carry my .380 around or my 9mm if I'm in a area I don't know well.

A .40 or .45 would most likely be used mostly for home defense (better then the 9mm), shooting (although less then the 9mm) and also kept in the car during traveling to new areas.

A rifle would be used for fun, just at the range. No plans to hunt yet, maybe in the future but I'm not basing my choice on that.

I currently have:

Stag Arms AR15
9MM XD sub-compact (I LOVE, LOVE this brand. Great gun)
Ruger 9MM
380 TCP Taurus
.12 HD Remington shotgun

That gives you a list of what I got so you can recommend, I would prefer a different brand other then XD but I've heard from buddies that quality on S&W and similar have gone down. I want a reliable gun and if it's a handgun I don't want it to be huge, but it doesn't have to be compact as I most likely won't be carrying it on me. Although if there is a good compact .40 or .45 please give me your opinion.

Thanks fellow gun collectors!!
RIP Nick 6/11/04, RIP Eddo 8/16/09

Gone but NEVER forgotten.
GSXRPLIB
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Re: Help me pick my next gun

Postby IGpoobah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Buy them all!

With the coat of ammo these days, I prefer the 9, but have 40 and 45 also. The 40 is a good compromise I think.

I'm a Glock man myself, but that's mostly because I invested a lot in them when they were the best thing going; read the nineties. I have also developed a serious love affair with 1911s, but damn they are pricey.

Bolt gun... hard to go wrong with something in 308.

IGpoobah
I am the spaminator

Bike:
My real first name:

Postby smileyman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm

For bolt action rifles the most common police or non specialty sniper rifle is the Remington Model 700 also known as the M40 chambered in NATO 7.62 (.308). Many different variations of upgrades or combinations but that is up to the job you need it to do.

Other recommendations would be a rifle with a Mauser type bolt action such as a Mauser 98, 1inchester Model 70, Ruger M77, or CZ 550. Also in my favorite .308.

As for handguns, .40 is not so much different than the 9mm, good options and lotsa ammo available, but you can't quantify the pleasure of a M1911 .45. It just plain feels and works right. Another gun that is just sweet in that hard to describe way is the Smith and Wesson .357 revolver. My fav was the King Cobra version and works great in the under the pillow role.
Industria, Virtus, et Fortitudo!
Losers find excuses to quit and fail...
Winners find ways to succeed! !
smileyman
I kinda kick ass!

Bike:
My real first name:

Postby edwardk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm

I have owned or own Sig P229 & P226, Glock 17, 22, 23, & 27, HK P30 (.40), Kimber CDP & Custom, and a Wilson Combat CQB. I lived in Memphis, had a permit, carried daily, and shot IDPA twice a week. My favorite gun to shoot was the Wilson. It is amazing. Worth every penny to me. I carried it every day for about 2 years. HOWEVER ammo, maintenance, and weight ended me carrying it. I switched to the Glock 23 as my primary carry about 8 years ago and still carry it today. I've sent about 15,000 rounds through it and have never had a problem with it. EVER. I highly recommend them for defense. The Kimbers were beautiful and felt excellent in my hand, but I had various feed & ejection issues with them. I couldn't ever trust them to perform, so I don't recommend them. The Sigs were basic, average pistols to me. The Glock 22 was a little too big, the 27 too small. The HK is brand new to me and I've yet to fire it, but the feel of it is the best I've ever had in my hand. I can't wait to use it. Now, caliber. You can't beat .45 for one-shot stopping power. The .40 is a great round and I personally prefer it for my defense and carry because I'm carrying twice the rounds than I am with a 1911. So for me, my ideal is the Glock 23 in .40 - but I might have something different to say after a couple thousand rounds through the HK.

Long gun. AR15.
edwardk
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike:
My real first name:

Postby Shelby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm left handed and shoot left handed so for me the versatility of an ambidextrous switched for the slide release and the the magazine release is important for hand guns. If you aren't left handed then choose what feels best. My current lust gun and would have if I was buying again is the H&K P30 in 9mm. That is the sweetest plastic gun I've ever felt. My personal hand gun is the S&W M&P in .40 The M&P models are easily switched up for lefties like myself.
Shelby
AHSCS #110 @GunpowderRacing
2013 Sponsors: Cycle Gear, Dunlop, FMF, Factory Connection, Vortex, EKS X Brand Goggles & Mrs. Johnson
http://www.gunpowderracing.com
Shelby
AKA "The Human GPS"

Postby edwardk » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:01 pm

edwardk
Site Supporter 2012
Site Supporter 2012

Bike:
My real first name:

Postby irun123arkansas » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:56 am

Right cheekpad goes by Right ear, Left cheekpad goes by Left ear..... FYI
irun123arkansas
Site Supporter 2011
Site Supporter 2011

Bike:

Postby Rub'n » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:10 am

.308 definately on the bolt gun unless you think you might go West..
Out their something with a little more punch.
I've got a 700BDL Remington in 300 Win Mag..sweet rifle

Pistol...I rarely ever carry but shoot competitively IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge and Multi Gun....needless to say I'm very biased...STI 2011 all the way..
I shoot a Glock 17 & Springfield .45 in IDPA...STI in the others..
Any 1911 or 2011 style gun with a normal extractor can be tuned for reliability.
Of course most folks don't take the time to do so.....

It's mostly personal preferance...most any modern firearm is better than it's shooter..

Pop a cap....
Professional Used to Be
Rub'n
Might sell my bike so I can post more.

Postby Shelby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Shelby
AHSCS #110 @GunpowderRacing
2013 Sponsors: Cycle Gear, Dunlop, FMF, Factory Connection, Vortex, EKS X Brand Goggles & Mrs. Johnson
http://www.gunpowderracing.com
Shelby
AKA "The Human GPS"

Return to Off Topic